Friday, October 27, 2006

Pont du Gard, Encore

I think now is a good time for . . . Nîmes revisited!

Here's a basic Pont du Gard photo, complete with Larry Washington's head hiding in the bush. According to various sources, up until a few years ago you used to be able to walk along the upper tier of the aqueduct. That would have been life-endangering but also a good photo op.

I tried to wade and have fun since it was killer hot that day, but my sensitive princess feet were not up to the task. The ground under the river is not sand or anything gentle, but instead made up of many, many tennis ball-sized rocks. Not only did they hurt, they also provided ample opportunity to slip and fall on your butt in front of friends. I just said no and dried myself off with my pathetic airplane blanket (at this time I still didn't have a towel).

What I noticed more was this poor little girl in the forefront. Not only is she scantily clad without a bathing suit top, it also appears that her bottoms aren't for swimming at all, but regular underwear. Also, she is sporting a rather nasty-looking wedgie.

Here's another look at the Gard river, which is pretty unremarkable except that it flooded quite badly in 1998 and seriously damaged another old aqueduct, which has since, I'm glad to say, been fully restored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home