Sunday, January 14, 2007

Marathon

Yesterday was amazingly awesome, weather-wise. Even the Three Graces are dancing. I would say it was around sixty-five, which was cold enough for a jacket but warm enough to be comfortable without one.

Four others and I went on a crusade to the newly-discovered Musketeers supermarket that requires a ride on the new Line 2. It was sublime. I even signed up for one of those invasive discount cards because they seemed very worth it. Not only did I get a full-sized cards, they threw in three keychain attachments. How many keys should I have to warrant that?

They caught us right away (before we even got to the produce) with all of the clearance sale Christmas candy. This moody Santa eyed us creepily. Oh, he was pretty awful. And huge! Check out his size compared to Carol in the background. You could have used him as a doorstop, and obviously you would since who could eat such a merry, jolly Santa?

Ah yes, of course. Generic store brands. It’s like heroin for me. Theirs wasn’t as interesting as Carrefour’s, but it wasn’t bad. He was ‘Kid Hero’, a bland youth peddling Crica’Milk (ew). Nothing really special about him, save the odd haircut and the three eye-level freckles.


France wouldn’t be France without the Indians. I’m not sure if this young brave has a name, but it doesn’t really matter.







This cereal looked kind of gross, but I was focusing more on the fact that our brave is clad in a sort of loincloth meets Jockey briefs. Also, his face seems to have swallowed his eye.




This gopher/guinea pig/bear? Seems to be the leader of the Tumador trio, judging by the logo. Either that or he is just huge compared to t he rest of them. Oh, maybe he’s a beaver with the teeth and all. And where is he looking? Not at the book of corn balls with honey, not at the prospective consumer. Probably checking out that guy’s loincloth.

I always laugh at this guy, not only for the fez and odd facial features, but because it seems like someone was trying to spell banana and didn’t know where to stop. Once again, we have an example of quotes where none are needed at the top of the box. What kind of ‘adventures’ is Banania having on the back of the box? Why didn’t I find out? Oh, remorse.

These little guys were in the bakery section. They looked like they were made out of clay, but being edible, probably weren’t. I don’t think I would be able to eat it. I would just keep it on a mantel somewhere until bugs came.

This was one wild merry-go-round. That tree weirds me out.








Here’s yet another example of what proves to be a Native American fixation of the French. Teepee? Yep. Feathers, headbands? Yep. Sitting Indian-style like Big Chief? Oh yeah. The one on the left always reminds me of Joel Grey.
Ohhh yes. Sandwich heaven. It was the most inauthentic grilled cheese ever – the bread was ‘sliced brioche’, since sliced bread doesn’t really exist here, the butter was margarine, and the cheese wasn’t even slices – it was shredded Emmental. Nevertheless, it was perfection. Also take note of our swanky plates.

Finally, I thought up a use for the bidet – it’s currently housing my very, very dirty jeans and a lot of laundry soap. I figure they need a bit more laundering than anything else I owned (those were the pants that I wore the entirety of my vacation).

And here’s the rest of the wash. I feel like that annoying neighbor who always leaves the towels out to dry even if it’s raining. Hopefully the rest of the building is used to it. I had to run down two flights of stairs the other day to retrieve a bra that careened to the atrium below. Laundry is a precarious business.

Here’s a two-for-one of my roommate as well as our dinner part last night. This is Suzy, and due to a conspicuous lack of dishes, had to use a gigantic mug for her wine. How classy. Eventually, people had to use huge tablespoons as forks since we ran out of flatware.


Tom, Carol, and I escaped for awhile to go down the street and get night pictures of the Arc du Triomph of Montpellier as well as the gigantic edifice that begins the aqueduct. The reflecting pool is particularly stirring at night.


Oh, this? Yeah, just my neighborhood. You know how it is. I live in the building right behind that white one in the middle, next to the church. It’ll be a sad transition to Vairo Village next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home