Monday, February 26, 2007

Brussels, Part Eighteen

The terrific map from the hostel recommended the 10th floor of this parking garage as a panorama of the city, and woo! It was great! A bit windy, but a good photo opportunity. This is the two-d church from before.




I think at this point of my journey I was starting to have a nervous breakdown because I saw this sign, took a picture really quick, and then could not stop laughing. Butt and Sons! If that was my name, I would also open a liquor store to perpetuate the Butt legacy. Irish Paul said that in Dublin there’s a Butt Bridge, named after a Prime Minister or someone named Mr. Butt.

So of course I had to wiki it, and I am chuckling to myself in this quiet, quiet library. There's a Pakistani tribe called the Kashmiri Butts. There's a lot of sporty Butts - there's a wrestler, a cricketer, a hockey plater, a batsman, and a male model.

A butt of wine is equal to two hogsheads.

Tradition has that George, Duke of Clarence, the brother of Edward IV of England was drowned in a butt of malmsey, February 18, 1478.

You're nothing but a butt of malmsey.

There are a ton of famous Butts.

A man named Alfred Mosher Butts invented Scrabble.

Heh, it does exist.

Ahh! Tides and a schooner! Oh, wait. Just a mural. Phew.








Of course, I was drawn by an invisible magnet to the only thrift store in Brussels. Here are Currency Curtains for the miser in all of us.






I really, really wanted this wrestling outfit.







Can anyone explain this stuffed animal to me? I can only assume it’s a play on Woody Allen, but is it a potato? Why does it have yellow feet?





The trip to Belgium was entirely worth it if only to see two men leading a monkey out of a convenience store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home