Tuesday, October 17, 2006

What an Idiom

It's Tuesday, and that means four and a half hours of class day. They give us this pathetic half hour break in the middle and I almost wish they'd just cut that and let us go a half hour early. We've been working on French idioms, some of which translate exactly into English and some of which are really bizarre. Here are some of my favorites:

He arrives like a hair in your soup.

She speaks like a Spanish cow.

You're as pale as a napkin.

He's as dumb as a broom without a handle or bristles.

(my personal favorite): She laughs like a hunchback.

Subway is playing tonight one floor above me but it starts at 5:00 and my class doesn't get out until 5:30, and I hate being the awkward person who comes into movies late. I rented Match Point yesterday so I may just watch that instead so I can pick another one tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home