Friday, May 11, 2007

Back Again

Well, France let me back in, which was considerate. I didn't really want to have to start crying in front of everyone in the airport until they just shuffled me through to get rid of me. How was that six o'clock flight? Bad!


I got to Stansted Airport at around 2:30 in the morning due to a train confusion that I don't want to discuss because I'll get all stressed again. I thought it was going to be pretty empty, but au contraire, there were hundreds of people laying all over the place with sleeping bags and stuff apparently waiting for flights. I dragged my suitcase (not a wheelie backpack) around aimlessly for awhile but all the good spots (aka behind the ticket counters) were gone. I finally set myself up behind a Hertz car rental kiosk with some guy that snored like crazy.

I was so bored, I couldn't sleep because it was cold and the ground was hard, so I tried to eat something but I was so sick of crackers after eating them all week. I was about to pitch them but I figured I would do something nice and ask some random guy hanging out near an interactive job computer station if he wanted them. I thought he was deaf at first because he kept saying "what?" but it turns out he was from the Czech Republic. He thought I was very funny (why? does my humor break the language barrier?) and hung out with me the rest of the night, so at least if I wasn't sleeping I wasn't bored. Of course he had the very Eastern-European name of Stanislav.

I finally had to pee so badly that I used their bathrooms, and smacked the right side of my butt into that poorly-designed disposal container. It overlaps the toilet, how stupid. Ow.






Luckily I had all my toiletries so I didn't have to resort to ... the chewable toothbrush. Oh, nasty.





Cool mascot. He looks like a bacterium. I wouldn't have chose it.






And off we go! I always get the wing seat because I am always one of the first people on the plane (thanks, priority boarding). Goodbye, English countryside.




I finally got to my apartment at 10:00 and felt so gross I immediately got into the shower (still wearing my clothes, of course, they needed washing as badly as I did) and couldn't go right to sleep as I desperately needed, having been awake since 6:30 the day before, but instead had to gather by things and take two finals as well as turn in a fantastic literature story worth half of my grade. The final is the other half. I managed to stay awake until about eight last night and then collapsed for thirteen hours. It was blissful.

Now, of course, I have my last final in an hour after which I am completely done. Super, super.

4 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You flying back into State College? Do you need someone to pick you up?

 
At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey

Happy birthday kiddo. I'm moving to NYC next saturday, you should come by for a visit.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Alaina said...

Erin: flying into Philly, then waiting an excruciating three and a half hours for a flight home to Pittsburgh. Thanks, though. By the way: I'll be working at Carmike again this summer, aka free movies all the time. Rock!

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay free movies! happy birthday! i like popcorn! glad you'll be around this summer! i'm working like crazy at MRI, no free stuff here :( what a waste. i'm also taking 12 credits over the summer. got to get all As because then I'll have my GPA where I want it for the big job search. i wish they'd post who's teaching the africa french class so i can see if it's the head of the department or one of his grad students. at least you're not waiting 3 and a half hours to fly into State College (like if you drove you'd already be back!) Call me/email me when you're back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home